Nominated to the United States Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit, Boyle currently serves as District Judge.
last updated 2/23/05
- Former aide to Senator Jesse Helms. Helms holds honorary Doctor of Law
degree from Bob Jones University.
- According to NARAL, he believes that the right to privacy should be "narrowly circumscribed" and limited to matters relating to marriage, procreation, contraception, family relationships, and child rearing and education.
- Authored a lower court opinion in Hunt v. Cromartie, 133 F. Supp2d, 407 (E.D.N.C.2000) which rejected North Carolina's redistricting plan, stating that the motivation behind the plan was racial. This approach was reversed by the Supreme Court as clearly erroneous because the evidence showed that politics was the predominant factor for the shape of the district.
- Was one of first to rule that the Americans with Disabilities Act did
not apply to States. His reasoning was then adopted by the Supreme Court in Brown v. State of North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles, 987 F. Supp.431 (E.D.N.C. 1997) was then
adopted by the Supreme Court.
- Ruled against an agreement between the U.S. Department of Justice and the State of North Carolina, which settled charges that North Carolina discriminated against women in hiring for prison guards. This decision was later overruled. United States v. North Carolina, 917 F. Supp. 1257 (E.D.N.C. 1996).
Support NOW with your purchase of print-to-order NOW products! Visit our store
Support NOW by shopping at Amazon.com!
Actions | Join - Donate | Chapters | Members | Issues | Privacy | RSS | Links | Home
© 1995-2012 National Organization for Women, All Rights Reserved. Permission granted for non-commercial use.